The first Hispanic workers at Texas A&M probably
came with Bernard Sbisa, the director of the Subsistence Department, to work
in the mess hall. Sbisa, a Czech immigrant, had opened the Commercial Hotel
in Matamoros, México in 1864 where he became accustomed to working
with Mexicans in food service. When he returned to Texas in 1868 he brought
many of his workers with him to Galveston. He continued the practice of employing
Hispanic workers when he came to Texas A&M and thus began a long tradition.